Health care Compliance Program Tips from the OIG
The Seven Fundamental Elements of an Effective Compliance Program
- Implementing written policies, procedures and standards of conduct.
- Designating a compliance officer and compliance committee.
- Conducting effective training and education.
- Developing effective lines of communication.
- Conducting internal monitoring and auditing.
- Enforcing standards through well-publicized disciplinary guidelines.
- Responding promptly to detected offenses and undertaking corrective action.
Five Practical Tips for Creating A Culture of Compliance
- Make compliance plans a priority now.
- Know your fraud and abuse risk areas.
- Manage your financial relationships.
- Just because your competitor is doing something doesn’t mean you can or should.
Call 1-800-HHS-TIPS to report suspect practices.
- When in doubt, ask for help.